Friday, August 01, 2008

Generation gap, bridged

Yesterday I had the privilege of chauffeuring my 13 year-old niece around every corner of town. I had Sigur Ros in the cd player, but I kept the local Top 40 station on. (I just got her into eating gyros. Icelandic music is still a bit of a stretch.) During the "vintage" show at noon, "Don't Speak" by No Doubt came on, and we both started singing along. Slightly eerie that I was the 13 year-old in the passenger seat 11 years ago, singing along with Gwen about heartache and bad break-ups, thinking she was singing just for me.

Sing it, Gwen. All of us 13 year-olds are still singing along.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

when that song was topping the charts, i was in new york... where three of my friends and i bought the album.

which i could have gotten in alabama... but no, if it's bought in new york, it's that much more special.

which is why i remember buying it, and why i'm telling this story. ahhhh 10th grade.